An absolutely murderous week, finally at a happy end. To understand what the past 7 days have been like, let me tell you a tale.
Monday, April 9th: I went to Provo and took 2 hours worth of tests for a corporate counsel position with a company. The HR guy said I scored 25% higher, and finished way faster, than anyone ever had, including the CFO.
I came home and had a call to meet for a 2nd time with a law firm in Fort Union, where I had a fantastic interview the previous Friday.
I also had a call from the Wasatch County DA's office.
April 10th marked 8 years since our first date, so Brittany and I went and blew $40 on dinner at Chili's.
It was a bright day. Everything has been awful ever since.
The return to the law office was not to discuss terms of a job offer, as hoped, but simply as 1 of 3 getting a 2nd interview. Then our lawn mower (the one left here) didn't work. I spent 2 days fighting with it in fits and starts before determining, with all of my marvelous mechanical skill, that the gast tank leaks. Even though the leasing agent in December had showed us the shed with the mower- and answered yes to my "So the lawn mower is provided and we aren't responsible for providing one?" the property mgmt co refused to do anything.So I had to go spend $180 I really didn't have on another one. I am still internally debating whether to deduct the $180 from the rent and send them the recipt.
I worried all weekend. I spent all 5 days this week, the whole time, anxiously awaiting the phone to ring. When it was Brittany from work or Dad or sales people I was frustrated. On Wednesday I sent follow-up thank you emails to all 3 places, no response.
Mind you, I am also checking the Utah bar web site for bar results, although I am 99.9% confident I crushed that thing, about 12 times a day.
I have been frustrated and depressed. I have tried not to let the kids see me cry. I have gone to the gym and spent an hour on the treadmill at 9PM because I can't stand sitting here any longer. I am the world's biggest movie and book buff, but I am well part the marginal utility point on that.
I finally decided to start designing a plan to start my own practice as a backup- and a keep me busy- this afternoon, and discussed office share-client share- partner up type deals with a local Sandy lawyer with 10 years experience who is looking for that.
And I finally called the Wasatch County Attorney's Office in Heber City. The DA is out of town, but, 20 minutes later, the guy called me back and offered me some contract work. $25 an hour, at least 40-50 hours a week for at least 6 weeks, from home, meeting up there with the 3 attorneys once a week. I am going to single handedly handle a case that is before the Utah Supreme Court June 3rd. They will still have at least 20 hours a week of work for me after that, maybe a permanent position eventually...
If you haven't spent 7 years waiting for the tires to hit the road and gain traction and start rolling, you can't understand what a relief this is to finally have some good news
Friday, April 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good news! It will keep you busy, earn some bucks, AND be good on a resume!
Sorry about the lawm mower fiasco. What's happening with the mushrooms?
Post a Comment