Friday, April 18, 2008


On This Date in My History


(Every now and then it is nice to flip back through 11 volumes of my journals and see where I was on this date in past years)


April 18, 2007


I interviewed for a contract position with the Wasatch County Attorney's Office in Heber City, doing a brief for a state Supreme Court case. Really enjoyed the beautiful drive, whether up Parley's Canyon or back through Provo Canyon. (A few days later I got it, it really bridged the post-bar exam period of waiting for results, then waiting to be sworn in, and took me up to getting a full timepermanent job).


April 18, 2006


At the boys elementary school in Fort Worth helping with the "Field Day" in the morning, I did the TBall station, still 3 year old Grant was quite the slugger. Home prepping for a final in my Federal Income Tax class for law school in the afternoon.


April 18, 2005


Went to Trinity Park in Fort Worth with the boys for the day, tried to study for a Securities Regulation final, but mainly read the paper about the strictly Orthodox Joseph Ratzinger's election as Pope, and Buster Olney's The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty. I had to mediate a dispute for a seminar at law school in the afternoon, and Brittany and I went to Fever Pitch in Cleburne that night.


April 18, 2004


I helped do the food for a Stake High Priest's Social at the Glendale ward building. Brittany's queso was a big hit with the guy who played the bad ex-boyfriend in Charly. I was online trying to synchronize and pay for flights for Mom (SLC to LA, DFW to SLC), Britt and the kids (LA to Austin), and the moving truck. I was also freaking out about having 18 units worth of tests in a 4 day period in mid-May. We were driving off in the UHaul and dolly at 6 AM on May 21, and I had a Property Law final May 20 from 6PM-10PM.


April 18, 2003


We took all the meat and condiments down to the Lythgoes for the party the next day. Brittany, Andrea, and me had a long conversation, Andrea became the first and only one in the family to encourage me to go to Loyola Law School. I did my 18th endowment session, this one at the Jordan River Temple. It was raining very hard all day. At dinner I spilled my lasagna face down on the carpet in our apartment on 33rd South and 9th East, and couldn't get the stain out with any chemical combinations in the place. The NFL Draft was coming on TV the next day, so I had to prepare for that. Sarah and I were going to be sealed for Grandma and Grandpa at the Bountiful Temple the next day also. I was trying to set up an appointment for extra tutoring for Econometrics, the most difficult class I ever had, even worse than College Algebra.


April 18, 2002


Brittany was 8 months pregnant with Grant. Her Dad was up from LA, and took us up to Ogden to eat at the University Broiler next to Weber State, and Mom met us there. He wasn't happy with the wiper blades on the Chevy Cavalier, the 2 door that all 5 of us were crammed in, so he took it through a place and got an oil change and some other things done for $81, which was nice. I was looking at graduate programs in Economics anywhere Pacific, U of Washington, U of Oregon, UC-Santa Barbara, etc. I was prepping for the GRE on Saturday. I also was scheduling CLEP tests and working through the Westminster College catalog to make sure I could graduate in May 03, 4 years out of high school, even after taking a year away from school in Sacramento.


April 18, 2001


The Serpentine Belt had broke on the care in San Rafael when we were on our way back from San Francisco with Brittany's Dad. Brittany was working at Starbucks. After 3 months at Fort Union I had got on permanent, but they lowered my pay to $24,000 a year because they were having to pay benefits now. Then Kaiser denied both me and Benjamin coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

I got Harvard Economics professor David Landes massive book The Wealth and Poverty of Nations from the Sacramento library a few days before and was starting to think about studying economics at UC Davis, where I was admitted. Matt thought Sac State would work better. I had gone back to the library and read all the business magazines they had there, and was starting to look at whether I could easily switch majors or not, since my 61 Weber State units were mainly History and English classes.


April 18, 2000


I was at Weber State at 7 AM, enrolled in 38 units between Fall and Spring 99-00, nearing the end of my time as a Wildcat. Dr. Gene Sessions focused on whether a good lie or a bad truth is better, in terms of both US History and Utah History. I had 6 classes, every hour between 7 AM and 1 PM. I met Dad at Ye Lion's Den there in Ogden at 1:15 for lunch, he and Mom were upset that Mike asked them for a trip to Europe for his college graduation. Brittany and I were getting ready for our wedding, and went on a very long boring drive around the Great Salt Lake to talk. Matt was working with me on trying to get a job at Apple Computer and on me driving back to Sacramento with him after the wedding. The ultrasound to see if it was a boy or a girl was the next day, and so was the Soldier's Medal Ceremony for Ben.


April 18, 1999


I was really missing football, and after I brought a high school highlight VHS tape in and met with the Weber State coaches they invited me to start practicing with the team and come to their Summer camp. I didn't ask them about a scholarship because I (stupidly) thought I didn't need one because I had a Pell Grant, and I thought it might make them hesitant to let me walk on. I figured all of that would take care of itself eventually.

Brittany and I had started dating recently, and so I went to some choir rehearsal at the Weber State Institute that one of her friends was in, and pretended I wasn't bored out of my mind for many hours.


April 18, 1998


I was becoming the varsity baseball team's primary pitcher, on a 3 day a week throwing program, near the end of my junior year of high school. Even though this was my first (and only) year of playing baseball in any kind of real way, I was starting almost every game, which were only about once or twice a week. I had only a fastball and a curveball, and the field was not smooth, and our idiot infielders couldn't pick up a ground ball to save their lives. I was embarrassed because I had recently thrown my glove into the stands in frustration when the coach came out of the dugout to take me out of a game. Susan Layton, one of the cheerleaders, had brought it back to me and was laughing about it, I tried to tell her that I was aiming for the chain link fence and threw the glove too high. That night Dad said it reminded him of when I kicked a chair into the bleachers in Junior High and Mr. Yasui had shouted "Don-al-son, show some class!" at me over and over on the way into the Martin Murphy locker room.


April 18, 1997


I had my permit, and was anxiously awaiting turning 16 and getting my license so I could take Sarah Borseth out. 20 year old Mike had recently turned up one day, handed us the Isuzu Pup, and announced he was done with UVSC and heading back to the Souzas house in California, which seemed like a windfall for me. Leslie was the only one willing to teach me to drive, and so we had gone out by the Great Salt Lake and she had taught me to slow down before you reach a curve, and then you can often accelerate once you are actually in the curve. I didn't really understand the details, but dinner conversation recently ahd focused on Dad's $33,500 tax bill and how we might have to sell the house. I had a 4.0 for the 3rd straight term at school, and was quite proud that, even as a Sophomore, I was getting close to breaking some of the weight lifting records at Clearfield High.


April 18, 1996


I was just back from a trip to Utah, I had spent some time with Sarah and Caleb in Logan, Sarah was pregnant. We drove around Logan, saw Utah State. At the end of the week we all went to a Jazz game, they beat the Suns 103-79. I stayed with the Lythgoes next, worked on a solar system to scale model with Darrin, went to Park City with Leslie, we ran into Debbie Smith at Temple Square, she thought I was Andrea's husband, "He's 14!" Andrea said. I then went to Matt and Shannon's, Ryan was fun, Doogie was, in my opinion, manipulating the hell out of how cute he was.

When I got back Dad was waiting for early retirement info from Pacific Bell to come in the mail, and so I thought I may not end up at Live Oak.


April 18, 1995


Having survived a crushing rejection by Kristi Robles, and been suspended for 3 days for beating up Mitch Nazzizi in the halls of 8th grade (and accidentally punching a Janitor too), I was focusing on basketball and on trying not to fail Spanish, which was so bogus between 2/3 of the class spoke Spanish at home.


April 18, 1994


I read D&C 50-54 before school. After school I played basketball in the Morgan Hill Stake Center gym with Mike and the other high school athletes, being one of the better players amongst the high schoolers, when you are in 7th grade, was quite the ego boost. I was excited because in 2 days Dad was taking me to a Giants-Phillies game.


April 18, 1990


A lot of talk about baseball on the 4th grade playground at recess at Encinal. I was playing catcher and kids were double-stealing and I was throwing them out either at 2nd or 3rd depending upon who was slower.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this idea. Lots of laughs!!!!

You Have to Watch This!

And This

Not Bad Either

This is Cute