Monday, July 21, 2008


The Dark Knight (95.5/100)
Only a few movies in my lifetime have been more hyped than this one, but it lives up to it. Hugh Nibley (I think) once said something about how the problem with movies is that the crashes have to always be louder, the explosions bigger. Well, this movie has the louder crashes and bigger explosions.
It is also very deep and thoughtful- at least as far as $155 million opening weekend blockbusters go. Well, there's never been a $155 million opening weekend before, but you know what I mean. Batman Begins was a fantastic film, and this one is right up there as well.
Heath Ledger will win, and should win, the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this. I saw it the second time Saturday night at Jordan Commons with Dad next to me, grumbling about the crowds. Personally I am usually grateful that there are people stupider and less cool, calm, and collected than me who will cheer and hoot and holler when Batman emerges and starts pounding the bad guys. I couldn't wait for him to deliver some of his lines, and everyone can't help but laugh at him.
It is too long, about 2.5 hours, it could be 20 minutes shorter. The best stuff is in the middle, not the end. They bring back the wonderful twisted psychologist character Scarecrow from the 2005 version, but make him into a blundering fool at the very beginning and then forget about him. Here's hoping he gets more play in the 3rd round- which apparently will be without Eckhart, and of course, Ledger- who, by the way, was essentially a Backstreet Boy until he all of a sudden came out of nowhere with this.
But in the end- see it, see it again, and see it on the biggest screen, with the volume as loud as you can get. When the Batmobile self-destructs and he comes roaring out on his motor-thing with the music blaring, or even better, when he flips the Joker's semi upside down.... wow. WOW! A lot of fun.

1 comment:

Brother Doug said...

I was a bit more more profound in my comments than that, Tim.

You Have to Watch This!

And This

Not Bad Either

This is Cute